To understand Scripture, it is not enough to be a scholar; one must be a soul.
(Sri Aurobindo, SABCL vol 3, Harmony of Virtue, p 118)
This sanātana dharma (eternal religion) has many scriptures Veda, Vedanta, Gita, Upanishad, Darshana, Purana, Tantra, nor could it reject the Bible or the Koran; but its real, most authoritative scripture is in the heart in which the Eternal has His dwelling. It is in our inner spiritual experiences that we shall find the proof and source of the world’s Scriptures, the law of knowledge, love and conduct, the basis and inspiration of Karmayoga.
(Sri Aurobindo, SABCL vol 2, Karmayogin of Virtue, p 19)
For the Sadhaka(seeker) of the Integral Yoga it is necessary to remember that no written Shastra(Scripture), however great its authority or however large its spirit, can be more than a partial expression of the eternal Knowledge. He will use, but never bind himself even by the greatest Scripture. Where the Scripture is profound, wide, catholic, it may exercise upon him an influence for the highest good and of incalculable importance….For he is not the Sadhaka(seeker) of a book or of many books; he is a Sadhaka(seeker) of the Infinite.
(Sri Aurobindo, SABCL vol 20, Synthesis of Yoga, p 49)
It is not by books that Sri Aurobindo ought to be studied but by subjects – what he has said on the Divine, on Unity, on religion, on evolution, on education, on self-perfection, on supermind, etc, etc.
(Mother Mirra Alfassa, Collected Works, Vol 12, p 208)
Online works of Sri Aurobindo & the Mother
- Collected Works of Sri Aurobindo
- Collected Works of the Mother
- Also see E-library at http://motherandsriaurobindo.org/
- Books also available in EPUB format
- Mother’s Agenda in EPUB and MOBI format
Specific book-related info
- The Synthesis of Yoga
- Ideal Child
- Thoughts and Glimpses
- Thoughts and Aphorisms
- Practices in the Integral Yoga
- Integral Yoga of Transformation
- Bases of Yoga
- The Mother -by Sri Aurobindo
- Burning Brazier
- Hymn to Durga
- Light for Students
- The Psychology of Yoga
- The Yoga and its Objects
- Rebirth and Other Worlds: Karma, The Soul and Immortality
- Why read Sri Aurobindo’s books?
- Sri Aurobindo’s prose style – by Goutam Ghosal
- How to read holy books?
- Hermeneutics: how to read holy scriptures
- Guidance by random book opening
- Integral Yoga Practice: Satprem. Adventure of Consciousness (amazon)
- Aurobindonian cosmology/teleology: Misra, Ram Shankar. The integral Advaitism of Sri Aurobindo (amazon link) (SABDA link) (google books).
- Integral psychology: Dalal, A. S. A Greater Psychology : An Introduction to the Psychological Thought of Sri Aurobindo (amazon)
- General guide to Aurobindonian literature
In addition to most of the Indian vernacular languagues, books of Sri Aurobindo & The Mother are also available in French, German, Italian, Slovak, Spanish, Russian. See the SABDA catalog and newsletters announcing new books.